It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 03:02

Version 1.5

Latest, fresh news!

Version 1.5

Postby Fingolfin » 15 Dec 2016, 21:35

So, i guess none of us thought that there would be a new version of World in Flames... yet here it is! A driving factor behind this is the amazing news that Blizzard has increased the maximum map size limit by 16 TIMES, up to 128mb... i am speechless. As it happens, i had a few more models stowed back which i had wanted to put into this map but didn't in order to save map space for Chinese or Italian infantry models. There were also some balance issues which needed to be addressed *cough* paratroopers *cough cough* and i took the opportunity to fix these as well. Here is a complete list of changes:

• New models for Soviet battleship and cruiser. Their cruiser is now the Bogatyr-class, and their battleship is the Sevastopol class. Both are old WW1 relics and look absolutely badass. The Sevastopol has a high rate of fire due to its 4x3(!) guns, but low range and damage as well as relatively slow movement speed. The Bogatyr hits hard but slow and is a low-average cruiser.
  • Increased the speed of the Akagi-class carrier. In reality, carriers were really fast, yet for some reason i made them slow in this map. Realistically, the Kongo-class should also be fast since it was a battlecruiser, but i'm gonna let its stats stand since i don't want to mess up the balance. Ship balance has been generally altered.
  • It is now possible to enable auto-production for your structures, which will make them loop their production queue indefinitely as long as you can afford it. This should help relive the micro nightmare which this map is.
  • Added a new projectile model for the flak-guns which has a more classic "pom-pom" look to it. I personally love it.
  • Added a new sound set for all ships, so that you will have one less unit type asking you to "point us at them"...
  • Increased the price of paratrooper planes by 150 and reduced the DPS of all paratrooper soldiers. Let me know if they need further nerf.
  • It is now actually possible to win in Domination mode!! Next version it will display the percentage you hold in the multiboard.
  • Reduced the cost of all Tank Destroyers. They are now only slightly more expensive than medium tanks.
  • Increased bunker build time by 10 seconds.
  • Fixed a bug which prevented tiger tanks from being repaired.
  • Reinforced Concrete upgrade now adds hit points.
  • Increased the damage of German cruisers at the expense of firing rate. They are pocket battleships, after all.
  • Improved the performance of smoke grenades. A drawback of the new solution is that the effect may linger for a couple of seconds when the unit moves outside of the smoke, but at least that's better than having the game bog down entirely.
  • Changed the way the Naval Doctrine works - it now increases the attack dice of your ships, which means the damage bonus can be anywhere form 4 to 10 depending on the ship. It is designed so that countries you typically associate with naval dominance get a larger bonus than countries like Russia and Finland.
  • Added an extra bunker on the northern Finnish border.

It might take some time for me to make Vuorma upload the map to the downloads section, but in the mean time you can find it on MakeMeHost and EpicWar or in the World in Flames thread on hiveworkshop.com.

Sadly, there are no updates for Chinese infantry for now, but i promise that this will be a focus in the next version. Other things you might see are Narvik-class destroyers and Bismarck-class battleships for Germany and Carro Armato tanks for Italy...
Fingolfin

Re: Version 1.5

Postby jjk005 » 16 Dec 2016, 01:26

Huzzah!
jjk005
Private

Postby catchyou » 18 Dec 2016, 16:40

wow... I really wait for this.. thank you!
catchyou
Sergeant

Postby Hexaotl » 18 Dec 2016, 21:11

Fingolfin wrote:So, i guess none of us thought that there would be a new version of World in Flames... yet here it is! A driving factor behind this is the amazing news that Blizzard has increased the maximum map size limit by 16 TIMES, up to 128mb... i am speechless. As it happens, i had a few more models stowed back which i had wanted to put into this map but didn't in order to save map space for Chinese or Italian infantry models. There were also some balance issues which needed to be addressed *cough* paratroopers *cough cough* and i took the opportunity to fix these as well. Here is a complete list of changes:

Unfortunetly, being the genius that he is, marcusmaxentius thought smoke grenade "performance" meant that it was buffed, not that it causes less lag. So he "refuses to play" the new version.
Can someone explain to him what performance means in simple terms he can understand?
Hexaotl
Sergeant

Postby Fingolfin » 18 Dec 2016, 21:38

The smoke grenades have not been buffed. Actually, i think i even reduced the evasion chance on the ability so technically it is a nerf. What i changed is that they now use auras to check proximity rather than "group units in range", and these buffs can take an extra second to be added or removed when a unit enters or leaves a smoke cloud respectively. I was hoping that he would enjoy the fact that paratroopers have been quite nerfed, many of the updates were his suggestions.
Fingolfin

Postby worldinflames_- » 19 Dec 2016, 12:57

catchyou wrote:wow... I really wait for this.. thank you!

Hi,Do you remeber me? I'am private first class now.
Tomorrow is my first army vacation.
I'am waiting to hear news from you about M16 server and old clan members.
worldinflames_-
Sergeant

Postby Hexaotl » 22 Dec 2016, 14:36

Love the new version!
My #1 wish and suggestion for WiF to make it a more balanced and less steam-rolly game is to make it so you only get half income from former enemy cities. That way, Germany wont get exponentially stronger for every city in Russia he takes. For every city he takes, he gets more income, and can take even more cities. Before you know it the game is over.

It would be easier to balance the game and the matchup if cities only gave half income, as you could to a roughly decide how much income each faction will get through the majority of the game
Special events like germany annexation of France could change this and make forexample Paris give Germany full income.

Maybe scripted events, sorta liket the conquest goals would be a fun addition to WiF?
Hexaotl
Sergeant

Postby Zuasfadas » 29 Dec 2016, 09:00

Have you ever played maps like these? https://www.epicwar.com/maps/247976/

It has an interesting influence system: The more cities you take, the more influence you need. You gain influence by creating military units or via science research, national cities take less influence from you than international ones...

So the player has to think in a fast expansion, getting the risk of being attacked in any moment by an enemy country and getting less influence points than the necessary to maintain order in their cities, resulting in revolts in random cities (the number of cities that regain their independence is based on how many influence points you need to retake the order)...
Or to create more soldiers, bearing in mind the casualties they could have fighting the neutral and, if possible, an enemy country attack, so the player will be able to keep their cities even if they got their troop destroyed.

I think this would work amazingly in World in Flames, even the strategic bombers would have a psychological effect by destroying the influence points of the enemy.
Zuasfadas
Colonel

Return to News and Announcements