It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 10:43

A new Project

Share your suggestions and thoughts about World in Flames, either the mod itself, website or other content.

A new Project

Postby SNIper of DARKness02 » 10 Jan 2015, 15:41

Hi, and Happy New Year to everyone.
I was thinking about perhaps of having Individual Battles from WW2 with the WiF mechanics for less extreme micro/macro and lag, and to be able to enjoy the terrain and all the cool models and not have to move something every second.
This may sound silly as World in Flames is not even done yet. But it would change the mood of things, and slower the paste of WiF, and actually get to look at battles instead of having the stress of having to get more reinforcements or other things. I just thought perhaps it wouldn't be that much of a problem as you have the mechanics and all and will just bring a whole new "game" for people to play and Enjoy.
Just passing by...
SNIper of DARKness02
Major

Re: A new Project

Postby Fingolfin » 11 Jan 2015, 14:36

I was having this idea too, basically a Men of War with WiF models. My idea was that players would each play as a general in the battle of Kursk, and control soldiers and tanks working with similar mechanics. Units and resources would be very limited, so you'd have to make due with what you have. I am unsure as to how well that would work though.

Another project which i AM working on though, is a WiF-like map set in modern times. It is a diplomacy sandbox game which roughly simulates the politics of running a nation. It has a custom resource system with flux economy, where you spend your resources in real time. If you don't have enough, production will be stalled until you do. The resources are:

• Oil, harvested from oil refineries which can only be built on oil patches.
  • Iron, harvested from iron mines, which can only be built on iron vein.
  • Currency, which is accumulated from taxes. You personally set your tax rate.
  • Power, which is required to run buildings. If your power consumption is greater than your output, buildings will start powering down. Destroying power plants is a good way of disabling enemy turrets.

The perhaps coolest aspect is that you can make trade contracts for everything. For instance, a player which has lots of iron, like Australia and China, can set up contracts to export it in real-time for currency with another player. And oh, yeah, resources are distributed based on actual real-life mineral maps. You can even lease your tech items which you have researched. For instance, if you have researched "Tracer Darts", you can offer another player to pay continiously to get access to it. He will then be able to use the ability it unlocks until the contract is broken. If he fails to pay for the lease, it will be disabled until he can pay for it again.

You can also make loan contracts with other nations, where you loan money and instead pay an interest of 3% each minute. Failiure to pay interest will add it to your debt, and you can only have one loan at the time.

One of the key diplomacy features in the map is Councils. Any player can form a council, but you can only be a member of one council at the time. By default, everyone is a member of the UN. Players can then submit polls for all members to declare war, trade embargo, ceasefire a player, or other things such as banning nuclear or chemichal weapons. If a vote passes which you opposed to, you can choose to either leave the council or accept the councils decision. They can even be used to resolve territorial disputes, by petitioning that one player cede a region to another.

At the start of the game, each player get to pick a ruler type and a government type. The available ruler types are "Democratic" and "Authoritarian", and primarily affect your public unrest multipiler (see below). Authoritarian leaders have more unrest, but are also allowed to use propaganda to deal with it. The available government types are:

• Communist, gives -30% Poverty, +10% Unrest, +20% Tax Income
  • Free Market, gives +30% Research Speed, -20% Unrest, -20% Tax Income, +10% Poverty
  • Theocratic, gives -20% Research Speed, -30% Unrest
  • Plutocracy, gives +15% Oil/Iron Income, +20% Unrest, +25% Poverty
  • Militarian, gives +10% Unrest, adds military bonuses.

Public unrest is a measure of your populations discontent, just like in WiF. However, instead of deducting taxes, you have the effect that if public unrest goes above 60%, your cities and structures will randomly go on strike, stopping all production. If unrest goes above 75%, you will have riots, slowly damaging your structures. If it goes above 90%, you will have rebellion, and rebels will spawn near cities. Declaring wars and launching nukes are some things which will add temporary unrest, while high poverty, high taxes and high nation debt will give a fixed increase. These are the fields you have to worry about in the politics tab:

• Public Unrest
  • Tax Level, can be set between 5 and 30%.
  • Poverty Level, this is based on your average city wealth and your subsidies rate.
  • Education Level, this is based on your education budget, and affects how fast you research.
  • Education Budget, this is deducted from your tax income in real time - higher budget means higher education rate.
  • Subsidies Budget, same as above except for poverty. At the start of the game, you will not afford this.

Apart from your government bonus, the education level will make your research speed vary between 50% (0% education) and 150% (100% education). This means that some nations, especially market economies, can niche themselves as teching nations and lease technology to their allies, while they deal with the oil and iron gathering.

The map encompasses the whole world, and there are three types of cities present on it. Capitols are naturally the ones you start off with. Each player starts with a capitol and an engineer. The capitol can choose three out of four possible ministries to add, such as ministry of finance (allows taking loans), ministry of propaganda (authoritarian only), ministry of foreign affairs, etc. They also have the largest starting wealth. Second are Cities, which can choose two out of four possible addons, including Intelligence Office (allows training of spies in the city, also grants detection), Stock Market (increases growth, see below), and some other stuff i have not yet decided. Finally, you have Towns, which can choose to add a Tax Office (increases local tax output by 10%), Law Enforcement (decreases unrest in an area), Suburbs (increases pop cap by 5), and one more yet undecided.

Each city has a value of something called "wealth". Basically, when you say you have 15% taxes, you mean you get 15% of the citys wealth in tax income. Wealth is increased periodically by growth (default is 2%), and is reduced by 25% everytime the city is captured. Furthermore, starting wealth depends on wether the city is located in the first, second, or third world. Generally, third world countries have more natural resources while first world countries have wealthier cities. Cities can be destroyed by nuclear weapons, causing them to be replaced by a useless "Ruined City". These can be rebuilt, albeit at great cost. It will then take some time before they can generate a useful income again. Your average wealth per city is called your BNP, and is the basis for your poverty level, together with subsidies. If your cities are wealthy enough, you will not need subsidies to keep your poverty level down. On the other hand, capturing poor cities will lower your BNP, and perhaps have consequences for your unrest.

Alright, so i have been blabbering on about this for too long, but let's just say that everything above is completed in the map, and i am basically just working on stuff like the ballistic missile system (oh yeah, there are ballistic missiles, and anti-ballistic laser turrets available) and the required models. I have very much faith in this project and hope you will find it as awesome as i do.
Fingolfin

Postby ziad » 11 Jan 2015, 18:16

OMG gg.
Some question so its 80 or 70% complete right when you will releases it or at least when will it enter the closed beta and can you show us some pic or u want it to be a surprise.
So it will be the map of the whole world ?
How many faction will it include?
NVM JUST SO EXITED THAT YOURE MAKING A NEW MAP BECAUSE YOU ARE BY FAR THE BEST MAP MAKE :p
ziad
General

Postby Fingolfin » 13 Jan 2015, 02:50

Here is the minimap:

WDMiniMap.jpg
WDMiniMap.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

And here are some shots of the model WIP:s

ScreenShot293.png
ScreenShot293.png (236.68 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

ScreenShot300.png
ScreenShot300.png (243.77 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

ScreenShot302.png
ScreenShot302.png (222.77 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

ScreenShot308.png
ScreenShot308.png (190.06 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

Sorry for the large images. You may want to open them in a new window.

If you promise you won't host the map online or anything, i can post the current version here for you to try out. Even though it is still very unfinished, it is still quite fun to play it.
Fingolfin

Postby ziad » 13 Jan 2015, 14:51

Omg, thank you very much, i promise i will not host it, and i will find bugs for you.
ziad
General

Postby Fingolfin » 14 Jan 2015, 01:51

Alright, i just want to do some tweaking, i can upload it tomorrow.
Fingolfin

Postby MarcusMaxentius » 14 Jan 2015, 15:43

Alright if you decide to make Men Of War RTS world in flames map then rename it to some other map cause i dont want people to host this instead of real world in flamse cause i want world in flames to stay like as it is now anyway i'm getting really pissed cause fingolfin didn't fix what he said he'll fix - airplane bug and you are taking so long time to fix this and relase 1.4c god dammit.. no comment
MarcusMaxentius
First Lieutenant

Postby Fingolfin » 15 Jan 2015, 00:59

Don't worry Marcus, i will not make any other maps titled World in Flames. I am also still working on WiF as best i can.

Anyhow, the nations in this new map are as follows:

Russia
USA
Israel
China
India
Arab League
Brazil
African Union
Australia
Latin Alliance
European Union
Indonesia

Before anyone starts asking why i haven't chosen Japan, Canada or the UK instead of some of these, it is because i need the players to be evenly spread across the map. Also, Indonesia is ranked as the 12th most powerful country in the world, and is expected to become the 4th most powerful by 2050(!). Brazil is the 9th most powerful country today, and expected to climb to 5th within 30 years, so these are all solid.

One thing i didn't quite cover in the last post was units. The unit trees are quite simplistic, but there are special units which players can research plans for, and later also lease these plans to other players. These units include MLRS Rocket Artilleries and Zumwalt-class Gauss Destroyers, among other things. Apart from that, each unit fills a specific role.

Infantry are trained in squads of 5. A Ranger Squad contains 3 rangers, a marksman and a medic, while an Anti-Tank Squad contains 2 javelin soldiers, 1 stinger launcher, a combat engineer and a single ranger. Spec-Ops Squads include a bunch of jack-of-all-trade units which are just generally very useful. They can also detect Agents at a short range, making them good defence against sabotage missions. Units are used individually though, and there is no squad system in place.

The basic ground vehicles are Infantry Tanks, Main Battle Tanks, and Mobile Artilleries. The latter can be upgraded to fire viral canisters or sarin gas canisters apart from the regular artillery shells. Further, it is also possible to research plans for Strykers or BTR-90:s as APC:s. Air vehicles include Reaper Drones, Attack Helicopters, Transport Helicopters and Fighter Jets. Jets can be upgraded to launch Napalm Bombs, which will detonate any gas clouds in the explosion area, dealing extra damage.

Naval units include two types of surface vessels and two types of subs. The former consist of Corvettes, which primarily target submarines and airplanes, and destroyers, which are good at sinking ships and firing missiles at ground targets. The submarines include regular Attack Submarines, but also Ballistic Missile Submarines, also known as trident subs. These can fire ballistic missiles on land targets while submerged, and are perhaps the most valuable naval asset you have (but also the most expensive).

One of the more unique units is the Agent. Agents are invisible, and can carry basic equipment, including portable radars (wards that grant vision), viral canisters, and sabotage equipment such as bombs. They can also be upgraded to launch tracer darts at enemy units, granting you its vision until it dies. Agents also have short-range detection, and can be used for counter-espionage. These are invaluable in many different ways, but also very weak, and will die if detected.
Fingolfin

Postby ziad » 15 Jan 2015, 17:45

Loking to the faction it seem good but what about alliances?? Are they locked or theres mode?
ziad
General

Postby Fingolfin » 16 Jan 2015, 01:51

Alliances are free, ofcourse. This map is all about diplomacy. I am not sure about modes yet, but for now there are none. It is really easy to form your own alliances though. You can even form an own council for your alliance and name it whatever you want. There you can handle the diplomatic relations within the alliance, such as making all alliance members declare war on an enemy at once, or trade embargo an enemy.
Fingolfin

Next

Return to Feedback